I should be working right now, but lately I've been thinking a lot about both my Grandmas, and I decided I need to share my thoughts.
A while back my roommates and I were talking about being a grandma, and what we want to be like. I've always thought that I want to be the kind who always has cake or cookies, or some kind of yummy food made when the grand-kids come over. And I want to have the kind of home that the grand-kids love coming too. This is exactly like my Grandma Loraine's house was. Every time we would go over she would have chocolate cake, or brownies, or something good like that on the counter. And there would always be a bowl of mixed nuts in the cupboard, which I loved. Even if they weren't home when we got there, we were always perfectly comfortable going in and eating, and making ourselves at home. The other day I called her to get her Chili Rellanos recipe. I didn't used to like them, but the last time I was at her house she made them, and they were really good! So I made them for me and my roommates, and it just reminded me so much of growing up and being at her house. I have so many great memories there, and I miss going and spending time there.
 |
| Grandpa Snookie and Grandma Loraine December 2007 |
|
One thing that will always make me sad is that I've never met my other grandma, Grandma Luella. She died before I was born because of diabetes. She never really wrote in a journal, but before she died she started recording her life story. My mom started writing it down word for word, but never finished, so a couple years ago, I started where she left off. I didn't finish either, but I recently started working on it again. It is one of the neatest things to hear her voice. It seems so familiar to me, even though I never met her. Some of the things that she says in it make me laugh. She had such a sense of humor, even though she was so sick. And there are also a lot of different sayings, that I've never heard of. The one that made me laugh the most is, "I thought I was smart and a cock of a walk." I've loved listening to this tape and hearing her stories in her own words, and her own voice. I know that she's an amazing grandma, and I wish so bad I could have known her in this life. I know that she's watching over me, and my family though. I've felt her presence at times, and I love her so much. I can't wait to meet her some day.
 |
| Papa and Grandma Luella March 1980 |
Both of these women are amazing examples to me, and it shows me the type of woman, grandma, and mom that I want to be someday.
Wow! Your dad looks SO much like his dad and your mom looks SO much like her mom!
ReplyDelete